Q: Will my computer work with the Vilas Online system?
A: Most internet enabled machines work well with the Vilas Online system. We recommend a Windows XP or higher opperating system, 1.5 GHz or higher processer, 1 GB or more of memory, 60 GB or more hard drive, a DVD-ROM, and it is highly recommended to have high speed brodband internet, or the capibility of utilizing.
Q: What software does my computer have to have?
A: Student computers should have the following software:
- Microsoft Office
- An internet browser (Internet Explore, Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
- Suitable antivirus, spyware and adware protection
Q: How do I contact tech support?
A: Email email@example.com
Q: What are the student expectations and student policies?
A: Below are the expectations and policies for all Vilas Online students.
Communication of Information:
Students must check their school email twice a day (Monday-Thursday). Students are responsible for knowing about the information in their email as well as information posted as announcements in Canvas.
Attendance and Excused Absences:
Parents must notify their child’s teacher or the online office of excused absences. At the time of notification, teachers will assign a new deadline with a maximum extension of one week.
Daily / Weekly Schedule
All elementary students (K-6) will be required to adhere to the daily schedules created by their teacher. All junior high students (7-8) will be required to adhere to the weekly schedules created by their teacher. Vilas Online School believes that schedules foster student success and increase academic retention.
Late Work Policy:
All assigned work must be completed by Thursday night at midnight of the week it was assigned. Teachers will email students about missing work on the following Monday, and students will have one last chance to submit that work by midnight of Tuesday, the next day. If late work is not submitted by midnight of Tuesday, students will receive a permanent zero (0) for their incomplete late work.
Students will have the opportunity to redo assignments with a maximum of two (2) submissions. Students will receive the highest completed score. Teacher discretion will be used for all considerations, including instances where students abuse this opportunity.
Vilas Online School strives to increase academic success and student performance; as such, the following steps will be implemented for the 2013-2014 school year:
- If a student maintains an average below 70% for two consecutive weeks, the teacher will send an academic warning to the student via email and notify the parent by phone.
- If a student maintains an average below 70% for a third consecutive week, the site coordinator will contact the parent and student with an academic success plan.
- If a student receives a D or F on the Quarter 1 report card, that student will be placed on academic probation with the expectation that any Ds or Fs be raised to Cs or above by the Quarter 2 report card. The site coordinator will closely monitory progress and work with the student, teacher, and parent.
- If a student on academic probation receives a D or F on the Quarter 2 report card, the teacher(s), site coordinator, and school administration will hold a conference with the student and parent(s) to ensure that an online education is appropriate and successful for this student.